TheOldStoneFort.org and SchoharieHistory.net are sponsored by the Schoharie County Historical Society in support of its educational mission and the Old Stone Fort museum complex in Schoharie, New York. The Society is a membership organization chartered as a museum by the New York State Department of Education, and is tax-exempt under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Old Stone Fort was built in 1772 as a church. During the American Revolution, it was fortified by patriots and garrisoned by militia. In 1780 the fort was attacked by an army of 800 Loyalists and Indians. The building is now owned by Schoharie County.
The Society has been preserving it and other historic sites for more than 100 years. We own six buildings in the museum complex including an early 1700s home, a 1780s Dutch barn, an 1830s law office, and an 1890s one-room schoolhouse.
The Society has a collection of more than 50,000 artifacts related to the history of Schoharie County; maintains a research library and a local genealogy collection; publishes a semi-annual local history magazine; and offers a wide range of educational and recreational activities. Society offices are in the William Badgley Museum, across the street from the Old Stone Fort.
Visit us soon!